Mt-Royal Nov 2012
Mt-Royal Nov 2012
As usual, I haven’t had the time to knit as much as I’d like, though Sanagi’s neverending stockinette is a pretty good fit with my schedule right now. I ran out of Sea Silk in the rainforest colourway (that I purchased in 2006 or 7), ordered a new skein, expecting dyelot issues. Handmaiden seems to have completely revamped rainforest, there is a lot more brown and beige in it now. I had some pink Sea Silk left over from my Haruni, and since I’m making Sanagi with 2 strands held together, I simply used one strand of pink with one strand of old rainforest for a couple of inches, let it become entirely pink for a bit then worked pink and new rainforest together until the pink ran out. I’m on the shoulder straps now, I might even finish before the new year.
Miles of stockinette
I’ve finished my Cetaceans cardigan, (formerly unicorns, I couldn’t get it to fit nicely with the decreases, etc) I just have to sew on the buttons, weave in the ends and take pictures. I began some mitts for myself, with a thumb gusset. I’m kinda making them up as I go, since the only tricky part is the gusset, and it’s not terribly complicated. Or so I think. I haven’t even searched for gusset on YouTube so I could be terribly wrong.
At the bus stop
So I’ve been working on winter accessories. (Okay, when I’m not working on Sanagi, which is a lovely pile of straight stitch at the moment, but I should it finish soon.) I made this hat for my son according to his specifications. Since I couldn’t do a detailed picture of The Hulk, he settled for words instead. It turned out quite well, I improvised the pattern but kept it simple for once. It’s a little too big which means I might get two winters out of it. I knitted his name into the inside of the brim, so hopefully it won’t get lost at school.
I have another hat to finish, plus I’ll need some mittens for myself. Something super warm so I can grip the steering wheel of my car first thing in the morning without my hands falling off.
Simmer Dim knit with STR Lightweight in Thraven
My plans to be a productive knitter during the summer months exploded in my face (yet again). The summers here are as hot as the winters are cold. I love the cold and hate the heat. Once it hits 30 C, I am done; I just lie on the floor waiting for the heat to end. I got off to a good start in June, with Nerd Wars to motivate me, but that is where the good times end. I finished Simmer Dim in 2 weeks for a Nerd Wars challenge. I just love it. It’s going to get a lot of use this fall and winter. Then I made a Milo tunic for my daughter. I got it finished on time and thankfully it is knit top down because I ran out of yarn, so it is a short-sleeved sweater in the end.
I got more done in July than August, but I missed my deadlines and didn’t submit anything for Nerd Wars. I started the Pod of Cetaceans Cardigan, which is a great pattern, but I since I was working with a cotton blend yarn I didn’t entertain the idea of a steek for a second. I had no trouble modifying it for straight knitting and it was going really well, I’d reached the yoke when my deadline ran out, and the WIP has been sulking in a corner ever since. Same thing happened with my August WIP, I didn’t make the deadline and I’m too mad at myself to pick it up right now.
I should really be a responsible knitter and sit down and finish what I start. I went to do just that and then I stumbled upon the Sanagi dress pattern. I’ll just make a swatch to get it out of my system…
I haven’t been posting here as much as I’d like, but I’ve been knitting despite being a lot more busy than I had envisioned. I’m participating in Nerd Wars this summer, on Team Hellmouth. I’ve posted my completed projects to my FO’s 2012 page, but I haven’t had the time to properly blog them. Simmer Dim & Milo are wonderful patterns that I’ll likely knit again. I’m working on a simple raglan sweater for my son and a cardie for my daughter at the moment, plus I’ll probably squeeze in a cowl before the end of the month.
Another sweater for my baby! I love the way Sigil turned out. Like every other Starmore sweater I’ve knit, this one will be loved and worn until I can’t fit over her head anymore.
The only trouble I had was with reverse st st pieces having to be sewn together. I can’t do it beautifully, so I try to make the ugly seam a design element of the sweater. Or I that’s what I tell myself. The collar is not rolling over the way I had hoped, despite my tinking back to add to extra rows when I saw it wasn’t quite perfect. I have just barely enough kureyon left to tack down the collar if necessary, but it would change the look and I want it to roll properly.
Now I have to finish the hat I’m working on, though I did cast on for an icelandic cardie in my post-FO excitement yesterday. And start my first shawl. Which is for a bride. At her wedding. Not nervous at all. I’ll be fine as long as my avoidance knitting stays simple. Everything. Will. Be. Just. Fine.
It’s been my baby daughter’s turn at being sick, so I’ve been playing at baby velcro for the past few days. I haven’t gotten much of anything done, but I did take stock of our winter necessities. It looks like my husband lost his hat, so I’ll have 3 hats to make this season. Plus, my son needs a sweater so I’m making Ryuu-ko with some old Galway from my stash. I’m making a BSJ and a Tomten for my daughter with some Noro Kureyon from a sweater I frogged. I’m also still waiting on my Knitpicks order so that I can properly wash & block my Idlewood and take pictures to post here. Today I have no pictures, sorry, it seems that this post is more to keep me in the habit of posting rather than mesmerising you, dear reader, with fascinatingly bad photos documenting my attempts at knitting. My apologies.