Toe-Up Sock Mittens

P1030281

Project: Toe-Up Sock Hobbit Mittens

Pattern: My own, with gusset help from Frankenfingers and English Fern Lace

Yarn: Socks that Rock Lightweight Hobbit Garden

I felt like making mittens, but I wondered why are patterns always written from wrist to fingertip? What if you knit from fingertips to wrist, and if so, how would you do that? So I used a magic toe-up sock cast on, two at a time on 2.5 mm needles, increased 4 sts per mitten every row just like I would for a toe. When I got to 64 sts per mitten, I continued knitting straight until I got to the thumb. For each mitten, I cast off 4 sts on the palm, 2 on the back of the hand. On the next round when I got to the thumb (where I just cast off 6 sts) I cast on 20 sts. As I continued, I decreased at the thumb, sort of a reverse thumb gusset. I used Frankenfingers as a gusset guide.

P1030279

I kept decreasing every few rounds until each mitten was 60 sts. I got kinda bored at the end, I added some lace as a border. I still don’t like lace in variegated yarn, I can barely see the pattern, but then again I only did one repeat. Then I picked up stitches for the thumb, decreasing drastically when I was almost at my thumb tip.

I’ve been wearing them regularly the past couple of weeks, and I like them but next time I’d knit them smaller, both in length (of the hand, from finger tips to thumb) and circumference (again, my hand from the fingertips to the thumb), and in a thicker wool. We’ve had a very harsh, bitterly cold winter this year and my hands get cold easily, the lightweight just doesn’t stand up to -20 C. But I love the colours so much, the way they play off each other, it’s delicious. And the pooling matches. Love it.

P1030275

Vikings!

Completed 30 January 2015

Completed 30 January 2015

Project: Astrid the Viking

Pattern: Leif & Astrid

Yarn: Lett Lopi and Rowan Baby Alpaca DK

P1030207P1030208

I’d been planning to knit this doll for years, but I didn’t work up the courage until now. I’d always assumed that stuffies would be an incredibly fiddly and time consuming knit. It was actually quite straight forward and fun. I tried to use Lett Lopi odds and ends I had lying around since it’s Icelandic yarn from Icelandic wool. The only non-Icelandic yarn I used is for her skin, since the only pale pink I had in my stash was some leftover Rowan yarn from baby knitting. I used DPNs for the whole project, which surprised me a little because I usually give up on them about 1/3 of the way through any given project. They are just too fiddly for me. I can’t even use them for hexipuffs. Maybe it was because I had the project on three DPNs, rather than four as for socks or two as for hexipuffs. For whatever reason, DPNs absolutely work for me when I make stuffies. I will definitely make more, as my daughter is only four and even my 9 year-old son has asked me for Finn and Jake from Adventure Time.

P1030198

Hexipuffs!

P1030195

So I started a beekeeper’s quilt. I actually spent quite a bit of time on this guy, playing around with needle size and cast on/cast off styles. Dpns just didn’t work for me, so I am using magic loop instead, which means that I can’t use the same cast on etc… But I now have a system and I plan to make many of these little darlings with my leftover odds and ends. This little one is looks so lonely right now.  I used Socks that Rock Lightweight in Thraven.

Completed 17 January 2015

P1030197

Simmer Dim

I made this pattern a few years ago with Socks that Rock Lightweight in Thraven. It is the only knitwear that I’ve made that I lost. I’m not even sure how I lost it, to be honest. But it really ate at me. So I decided to replace it, this one is made with Socks that Rock Mediumweight in Monroe Blutbad.  Super comfy, I love to wear it around the house and as a scarf when I go out. I don’t normally go in for variegated yarn, but since it is a Grimm colourway I had to try it. I really love the result, though I find it hard to photograph. I’ve since joined the Rockin’ Sock Club for this year and I’m going to make myself some mittens out of variegated yarn soon.
P1030194After Blocking

P1030192 Blocking with phone for size.

P1030187Right after cast off, no blocking.

Something new for the New Year

P1030173

I picked up this embroidery kit from Heather Lins Home on eBay. It was actually a lot of fun to do, I used to do a lot of cross stitch and needlepoint when I was a teenager. The stitches themselves were simple, but I was stitching into cardboard, not fabric. That was new for me. I was a little nervewracked at first, since I was worried about punching the needle through the hole to forcefully and making a tear in the cardboard. As long as you plot out your stitching path (i.e. poke out the holes you will use) with the needle before hand, you shouldn’t run into trouble.  There is one for each month, obviously. Practical yet decorative. : )

Completed 4 January 2015